Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Gooey Butter Cake, A Reprise (with recipe)

I love eating with the grandparents. You can have dinner, dessert and coffee, and sit around and chat and still be home before 8 o'clock. Just in time for my important tv shows. (Ha. Ha. I am kidding. Somewhat.)

I made the Gooey Butter Cake, and while I never did find a recipe that seemed to match exactly, I think I did okay.

Gooey Butter Cake

1 box butter recipe yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines because it's on sale)
1 egg, beaten
1 stick (1/2 c.) butter, melted. yes, butter!

Combine these ingredients in a mixing bowl and press into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan. I have good results with a glass pan, and pressing the mixture up the sides by about 1/2 inch or so.

This leaves your mixing bowl pretty darn clean, so you can now mix:

1 block (8 oz) cream cheese, softened (you can cheat and use light but not fat free, this is dessert here)
2 eggs, beaten
1 box (16 oz, 1 lb) 10x confectioner's sugar

Beat one ingredient in at a time, mixing in sugar gradually so you don't get covered in powder. When it's smooth, pour on top of the crust mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. The crust will be golden, and the center will be golden in spots. The inside is cooked but gooey, of course!

3 comments:

SJ said...

I don't know about the cake, but dinner, dessert, coffee, and chat with the g'rents... all done by 8 o'clock... sounds fabulous.

What does this gooey butter cake actually TASTE like? It sounds rather strong and sweet. (In addition to all the butter and some cream cheese, that's a LOT of confectioner's sugar!)

Steph said...

The cake... the outside tastes kind of cookie-y, the top/filling tastes kind of like a gooeyer filling from a cheese danish. Like maybe a high end cheese danish.

It's good, but one piece is enough. I sent the rest home with Paul's mother (who had 2 pieces, btw!!)

Rhett said...

thank you for the recipe.... i love it! oh the memories!