Monday, October 03, 2005

She knits a sweater!

So, last Friday was officially my last day at work. As someone (I can't remember who anymore) put it, I am living the dream!

Well I don't know about that. I'm not technically done with school yet and I'd really like to put that monster to rest, and as long as I had huge distractions (like work and getting married this summer) that wasn't happening. So now I'm home, vacumming in a dress and heels while wearing pearls and hanging out with the cats (who are NOT allowed to play with fire, of course).

Of course I have to make time to play with my yarn. I'm currently working on a sweater for my husband. It has taken forever. I think I started this in May, which is before we got married - so far, no curse. And I had to re-learn how to knit in the middle, since I discovered that bringing the yarn over the needle clockwise twists every stitch. That doesn't seem like such a big deal until you get about 12" into the back of the sweater and realize that the entire thing slants to the right.

I'm working on the sleeves now. The sleeves that the pattern directs you to make might actually allow Paul to hanglide, or impersonate a flying squirrel. Those sleeves just had to go. So we are back to row 1 (actually, something in the 40s). I swear this sweater looks better in person. Paul is such a good sport.

So, details:

Pattern: Cape Cod pullover

Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Chestnut Heather

Needles: Size 8 (5mm) circular aluminum needles

Alterations: The smallest size of this pattern is 44", and Paul is more like 40" around. Since I'm wild and can't follow directions and used different needles and yarn from what the pattern specifies, my gauge is 4 stitches and 6 rows = 1" (contrary to gauge of 4.5" and 8 rows = 1"). I cast on 80 stitches for the front and back and put 10 stitches on a holder for the front of the collar. The pattern for the sleeves... well, I'm working on that one.

No comments: